Adopt the attitude that setbacks are temporary. Tell yourself you can
overcome the undesirable situation you find yourself in. Nothing lasts forever.
· Let go of the victim mentality in favour of a problem solving approach. Instead of being passive, weak, and powerless, you will become active, strong, and in control. Rather than letting life just be something that happens to you, it becomes
· Remind yourself of a time when you were patient and the rewards it brought you. Think of this as intensely as possible. Relive the memory as vividly as you can.
Plan ahead of time to anticipate setbacks and develop a realistic perspective.
· If you are delayed with time to spare, e.g. in a traffic jam, use that time to do
something constructive or enjoyable. Read a book, listen to your favourite
band, pay a bill.
· You are not a static personality. Some people resign themselves indefinitely to being a certain personality type. They say “I’m impatient. I always have been. I’m not able to change.” It would be better to reframe this by saying “I’ve felt a lot of impatience in the past.” Even though you’ve been a certain way in the past, it does not mean you have to be that way in the future.
· If someone is doing something which is causing you to become impatient, try to see the situation from their perspective. They may be suffering a lot. Looking at things this way might cause a change of heart. If you start to feel sympathy for someone your agitation may evaporate completely. Need essay? - essay service online help.
Do not identify with your impatience; you are not your impatience. You are far more.
· Break down large goals into much smaller goals. If you see yourself achieving small, focused targets on a daily basis, you will definitely feel like you’re going
somewhere. For example, rather than dwelling on the goal of writing a book, think of writing a page a day. Don’t waste energy which should be used for accomplishing things in the present. Push the destination out of your mind.
Focus on and enjoy the journey!
· Make a list of things that cause you to impatient. If you are struggling to make a
list, keep a journal, and when you lose your composure, log who, what, when, where, and why. Once you made the triggers explicit, it allows you to be more
aware of why you behave like you do and what can be done to help.